What's Hot?
On Free Programming, Lesson From Ghana
Fayemi Urges African Leaders To Integrate Tourism Into...
How To Keep Cool At Your Summer Festivals
AMVCA Becoming More About Fashion Than Films —...
Music Magazine Comes To An End After 35...
Lionsgate Reveals Significant Progress On Possible Michael Jackson...
Johnny Drille Urges Musicians To Embrace AI Without...
Lupita Nyong’o Fires At Critics Over Helen Of...
London Museum Unveils Jurassic Ocean Giants
TheatreMania Africa partners Corona School on theatre initiative
  • Home
  • Arts & Exhibitions
  • Culture & Festivals
    • Culture Africana
    • Culture People
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
    • Music, Movies & More
  • News
    • Travel News
  • Opinion
    • Reviews (The Critics)
  • TCN Literati
  • Tourism & Hospitality
The Culture Newspaper
Music, Movies & More

Music Festival Forced To ‘Bow Out’ After 60 Years

by The Culture Newspaper May 29, 2024
by The Culture Newspaper May 29, 2024

Organisers of a music festival that has been running for the past 60 years have announced that this year’s event will be their last.

The family behind Towersey Festival, which started in Oxfordshire, said they have to “bow out after this year”.

They cited “economic challenges” caused by the Covid-19 pandemic as one of the reasons for their decision.

The independent event founded by Denis Manners MBE in 1965, five years before Glastonbury, has championed roots and folk music.

Towersey Festival Festival organisers Joe Heap, Kathy Mowatt, Mary Hodson
Festival organisers Joe Heap, Kathy Mowatt and Mary Hodson have vowed to still deliver the event in August

The festival was first held in the village of Towersey but moved to nearby Thame in 2015 and finally settled at the Claydon Estate in Buckinghamshire in 2020.

Organisers have promised that the 60th anniversary of the four-day festival, set to take place from the 23 August, will still go ahead.

Festival co-director’s Mary Hodson and Joe Heap, two of Mr Manners’ grandchildren, announced the festival’s end with the “heaviest of hearts”.

They said: “We have worked incredibly hard over the last few years to try to bring Towersey back to financial stability.

“The pandemic wiped all our back up and changed the face of festivals across the industry.

“Coming back from this and the economic challenges we’ve all felt since then has been all but impossible.

“Without investment partnerships or a fundamental change to the character of the festival, we have concluded that we will have to bow out after this year.”

This year’s event will look back at the festival’s history with a 1965 dance party and and an “in conversation” gathering with some of those festival-goers that were there at the beginning.

The pair added: “We believe festivals like Towersey are crucial for creating better communities and societies and for finding hope and humanity in an otherwise challenging world.

READ More  Wizkid Becomes First African Artist To Cross 11 Billion Spotify Streams

“We will continue to fight, and endeavour to find a way of continuing to realise the hopes and dreams of our grandparents and founders, but it will not be through Towersey Festival anymore.”

60afterbowFestivalforcedMusicouttoyears
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestLinkedinWhatsappEmail
The Culture Newspaper

previous post
World’s Rarest Album To Go On Display In Australia
next post
Eight Of The Best Films Of 2024 So Far

You may also like

AMVCA Becoming More About Fashion Than Films —...

May 23, 2026

Lionsgate Reveals Significant Progress On Possible Michael Jackson...

May 23, 2026

Johnny Drille Urges Musicians To Embrace AI Without...

May 23, 2026

Lupita Nyong’o Fires At Critics Over Helen Of...

May 22, 2026

With ‘Clarissa,’ Two Nigerian Brothers Are Forging an...

May 22, 2026

Bruno Mars Scores Billboard Latin Chart Success With...

May 22, 2026

Directors Guild Unveils Inaugural DGN Awards, Directors’ Week

May 22, 2026

NFVCB Receives WHO Special Award for Leadership in...

May 21, 2026

How Fjord Became Cannes’ Most Divisive Film

May 21, 2026

James Franco Joins ‘John Rambo’ Prequel As Villain...

May 20, 2026

Leave a Comment Cancel Reply

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

Recent Posts

  • On Free Programming, Lesson From Ghana
  • Fayemi Urges African Leaders To Integrate Tourism Into Economic Devt Plans
  • How To Keep Cool At Your Summer Festivals
  • AMVCA Becoming More About Fashion Than Films — DGN President, Uche Agbo
  • Music Magazine Comes To An End After 35 years

Sponsored

Recent Posts

  • On Free Programming, Lesson From Ghana

    May 23, 2026
  • Fayemi Urges African Leaders To Integrate Tourism Into Economic Devt Plans

    May 23, 2026
  • How To Keep Cool At Your Summer Festivals

    May 23, 2026

Categories

  • Arts & Exhibitions
  • Culture & Festivals
  • Culture Africana
  • Culture People
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food
  • Music, Movies & More
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Photo News
  • Reviews (The Critics)
  • TCN Interview
  • TCN Literati
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Travel News
  • Travel Trends
  • Travelogue
  • What's Hot?
  • World Culture

Connect with us

Connect with us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

@2025 - The Culture Newspaper. All Right Reserved. Maintained by Freelart

The Culture Newspaper
  • Home
  • Arts & Exhibitions
  • Culture & Festivals
    • Culture Africana
    • Culture People
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
    • Music, Movies & More
  • News
    • Travel News
  • Opinion
    • Reviews (The Critics)
  • TCN Literati
  • Tourism & Hospitality